Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Stamping Bella Monstah Bash boy's birthday card


Hi and thanks for stopping by :-) Hope you've got your sunglasses handy for my super-BRIGHT card!

It is my nephew's 7th birthday so this is the card I made for him.  Technically, he is my GREAT-nephew but is the same age as my DD - talk about a generation gap!  I don't really like saying GREAT nephew - it makes me feel like a dinosaur!

The challenge over at Mark's Finest Papers Challenge #30 is "Circles" so I tried to have lots of circles on the various elements on the card which was lots of fun and I like how it all came together nicely (LOVE it when that happens - sometimes just finding a matching ribbon can be frustrating!).

When I saw this designer paper at my local scrapbooking store, I HAD to have it - I just LOVE the little monsters on it and LOVED the colours - and thought it would go perfectly with this Monster image - I think they were "made for each other"!   I coloured the monsters with Prismacolor pencils, Derwent Coloursoft pencils and OMS, then added some white Liquid Applique to the bumps, feelers and teeth.  Once that dried overnight, I heated the Liquid Applique with my heat-gun to make it 'puff up', then used a paper stump that had blue colour on it, dipped it in OMS, then coloured the bumps on the orange monster, and used a paper stump with orange colour on the teeth on all the monsters plus the feelers on the green monster.  I added some blue glitter to the balloon with Designer Dries Clear adhesive. You can see a close-up of the liquid applique here - it's such cool stuff, isn't it?!


The green cardstock on the side panel was embossed using my Argyle embossing folder, and I ended up adding the orange cardstock underneath the blue/green panel because it looked a little "lost" on the background and the orange just seemed to add some brightness to it.  

The sentiment was stamped with Lime pigment ink and heat-embossed with clear embossing powder.  The sentiment has a blue Petite Scalloped Circle around it, but you can hardly see it!  When I bought my Scalloped Circle Nesties, I bought the Petite ones by mistake instead of the Large ones so the scallops are really tiny on the smaller dies in this set.

Both the image panel and the sentiment are up on 1mm mounts (dimensionals).  The ribbon was attached in 2 separate elements and the bow itself was made with my Bow Easy.

Because the designer paper has lines on it that are wavy, it kind of looks like my cardstock or the dp isn't cut straight, but trust me: it is - it's just an optical illusion!  Lastly, I added the 3 different coloured brads in the bottom RH corner - I put the colours in the same order as I coloured the monsters.

Thanks for have a peek at my Blog - hope to see you again soon :-)

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Monstah Bash cc183 - Stamping Bella, Sentiment: Stampin' Up Riveting set (retired)

Ink:  Memento Tuxedo black, Versacolor Lime pigment

Designer paper:  Reminisce Monster Parade

Accessories:  Cuttlebug, Argyle embossing folder, Spellbinder: Circle Nesties, Petite Scalloped Circle Nesties, Rectangle Nesties, Scalloped Rectangle Nesties, Bow Easy, orange polka-dot ribbon, 1mm mounts (dimensionals), clear embossing powder, heat-gun, white liquid applique, paper piercer, Art Institute fine blue glitter (from Shabby Chic set), Designer Dries Clear adhesive, brads: orange, green, blue, Cardstock: KW Doggett "Knight" white, Colormates Dark Belgium blue, Irish green, orange

Punches:  EK Success Arrows border


9 comments:

Robyn said...

LOVE your fabulous card!! What a great boy's card!....and don't worry... I KNOW that your panels would NEVER be crooked!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

THANK YOU for stopping WV~so much easier for us to leave comments~~

Adorable card - Thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends!

redwasher1 said...

Way cute!!!
Thanks for it with us at Speedy's Friends.

PepPop said...

Oh wow!! Brilliant card. I love all the little monsters and the detailing on your image is fantastic. Your Great-Nephew is gonna love it. Jaqui x

Sudha said...

Wow so cute. Love the color combo.

Joanne (jojot) said...

what an absolutely FUN creation...bold and fabulous...thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends this week

Julie said...

This is perfect for a little boy! I never have enough cards on hand for little boys! Great job on this one!

Sudha said...

Thanku dear for ur sweet comment on my blog.

Anita said...

What a great card! I love how you've colored that adorable image and the paper you used is so perfect. Love how the liquid applique looks too. I'm sure your nephew will love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...