Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wedding Cards using LOTS of embossing folders!


Hi and thanks for stopping by!  Sorry I haven't blogged for a little while - some frustrating computer issues plus being school holidays here in Australia, I've been out and about quite alot (been to the beach - yay!) and had no uninterrupted "me" time.

Anyway..........I have been playing with my embossing folders as the Challenge #4 over at CropStop is  "Make a Good Impression" where you have to use 2 different patterns as embossing on your project.  I had had my eye on the Splitcoaststampers 'Free for All' F4A47 Challenge  of "Texturize me!" from about 2 weeks ago and you had to use 2 different embossing folders for a card for that challenge - but I never got a chance to play.  Thought it was a cool idea though (you know how much I LOVE my Cuttlebug!!).


ETA:  I just learned that the above card was picked as one of the Cream of the Crop cards from the challenge over at Crop Stop - and I get a special blinkie to add to my Blog.  How lovely!!  Thanks Crop Stop!  Woo Hoo!!


So while I was at it, I decided to combine it with the SCS Clean and Simple Challenge CAS103 of "Flourishes" and pop these cards into the SCS Fan Club January Challenge of "Love".  I can't give you any more details about the Fan Club Challenge as you have to be (paid) Fan Club Member of SCS - I am only allowed to reveal the "theme". 

For the card above, I embossed 2 separate pieces of cardstock:  one with the hearts embossing folder and the other with the Budding Vine folder (note I did have to run the hearts-embossed cardstock through my Cuttlebug twice so I could get the pattern on the cardstock to the width I wanted - I hope that makes sense!!).  I then trimmed the 2 pieces of cardstock down so that when I put them together, the hearts-embossed cardstock was about half the height of the Budding Vine-embossed cardstock - there was a slight overlay so that I could tape them together easily at the back.   To hide the join at the front, I glued a piece of white lace over the top.  That piece of lace is old shop stock from a Haberdashery business my parents ran in the 1970's - so is over 30 years old!  The embossed panels are up on foam tape so there is a bit of height between them and the cardstock base.

Then, because the CAS Challenge was "Flourishes", I decided to stamp the sentiment onto one of my Spellbinder Fancy Tags die (I thought it looked pretty "flourishy" to me!), and then diecut the 2 Vintage corners from my Vintage Die set as some "bonus" flourishes and popped all of these up on mounts.  After I stuck the Vintage corners on, I then thought maybe it looked "too much", but they ain't comin' off now 'cos it will rip the cardstock!  Oh well!  I punched a heart from some glittery red cardstock which I bought when I went to Bright on holidays last year - cool stuff if you can get it as the glitter is very well adhered and doesn't come off and make a glittery mess!! 

And here is the 2nd version which is also for the Fan Club Challenge:


For this version, I used the Lace Doily edge punch instead of the piece of lace, and added 2 ribbons:  the black/gold one with the red-sequin one over the top.  I also used 2 different embossing folders:  Textile and Swiss Dots, and added the black cardstock layer on the top of the white base.  I omitted the Vintage die corners as it just looked "too busy".  Note sure if you can see, but there is a Scor-Pal line above the punched border which made it easier to butt it up underneath the Textile embossing so as it would be straight.  Here is a close-up piccy of the 2 ribbons - the red sequined and gold/black ribbon is true to life as to what the colours are - the main photo doesn't show it very well :-(  I can tell you that it was sooooooo hard to take photos of (both) the cards to try and capture the red sparkle but not have the embossing look all washed out.


So there it is.  Go and have a play with your embossing folders and see what different combinations you can come up with - and then try adding in some different punched borders or lace or ribbon.   Once I worked out the design and what embossing folders I liked together, the cards were very quick to make.

Thanks again for visiting!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:  

Card #1:

Stamps:  Sentiment from Stamp-It Australia set siset014 self-cling rubber (this is a large set of 13 different sentiments)

Ink:  Stazon Jet Black

Accessories:  Cuttlebug, Craft Concepts Budding Vine embossing folder, Hearts embossing folder from Cuttlebug emboss and die set "Love Language", Spellbinder Shapeabilities S4-235 Fancy Tags, Cuttlebug Vintage die set - fancy corner, white cotton lace, 1mm mounts (dimensionals), foam tape, cardstock:  white, red glittery

Punches:  Carl CP-8 heart duo, Stampin' Up corner

Card #2:

Stamps and Ink:  as above

Accessories:  Cuttlebug, Textile and Swiss dots embossing folders, Spellbinder Shapeabilities S4-235 Fancy Tags, 1mm mounts (dimensionals), Scor-Pal, Ribbon: gold/black, red sequin, cardstock: white, black, red glittery

Punches:  Carl CP-8 heart duo, Stampin' Up corner, Martha Stewart Lace Doily edge


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Fab cards love all the detail, Mary x

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

ooo love these Jo-bear might borrow the idea as have card I am struggling to design for a particular person and if I post it I will link it back to you if okay, please?
I really like it and re. photos - have you tried taking it to bright spot just outdoors and photo graph without flash? I take my pickies on my stone doormat in my courtyard area (as it is bright natural light not sunny) but my pictures are clearer since have found that, only time I bomb out now is when still have to take them indoors.. just a suggestion though, no real expert.. so good to see you back and trust computer is all okay now,
Blessing always,
Shaz.xx

Vicki said...

Fabulous cards! Love all of the different embossing. Thanks for playing along on our CropStop Challenge blog.

Sudha said...

Beautiful creations dear.

Anonymous said...

congrats on your blog award, jocelyn! both cards are beautifully done; i love the texture and just a touch of colour.

Denise Marzec said...

LOVE all that white space...beautiful!

Heidi said...

Jocelyn: these are both just gorgeous cards! Thanks for joining the cropstop challenge.

Trish said...

Yor cards are always so detailed,beautiful work

Michelle Pearson said...

lovely cards!! So elegant! Thanks for playing the CropStop Challenge!

Rosie said...

Wow, these are stunning! I love the embossing on the white....gorgeous cards! Thank you for joining us at the CropStop Challenge Blog. Hugs, Rosemary

Gloria Stengel said...

Both of these are AMAZING!!!!!

Donna said...

WOW, thanks for sharing this great idea. The results are lovely cards.

Lynn's Place said...

Beautiful cards tfs

Lyn S said...

Hi Jocelyn, I just signed up as your newest follower! You have some lovely cards here on your blog!

ps. We might even be neighbours, I live in Mebourne's NE suburbs too! Lyn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...