Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Knitted Cat Bookmark and Felt Owl Egg Cosy


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

A special welcome to my new Followers!  Thank you for following my blog!

As promised on my last post, I am sharing my knitted cat bookmark and felt owl egg cosy which I made for my daughter's 10th birthday (in July).  I adore knitting and find time to knit most days as I find it so calming and relaxing.  I haven't shared my knitting before on my blog as I am not really sure how to take photos of my projects but anyway, here goes:

 
The Cheshire Cat pattern is from the UK Knit Today magazine - Issue 84 - April 2013, and was designed by Tina Barrett.   The cat was knitted using DK yarn and 3.25mm (UK size 10) knitting needles.   I did my face a little differently to the instructions as I used black beads for the eyes instead of embroidering them.  The remainder of the embroidery was done using black DK yarn.   The head is stuffed with polyester fiberfill.  The legs and tail were knitted on double-pointed knitting needles which made them a tube eliminating any sewing of a seam making life easy.  Here are some more photos:
 
 
As you can see, the body is flat which lies in the book and the head, legs and tail hang out the end.   In case you are wondering what the book is that the cat is lying on:  it is Simon's Cat.  Here is a close-up pic of his sweet little face:
 
 
 And now, here is the Felt Owl Egg Cosy:
 
 
The pattern is from a book called Super-Cute Felt by Laura Howard which is published by CICO Books.  The edition I have is dated 2011 and I just checked around and it is still readily available.  I really LOVE this book - so many cute projects including Christmas and the instructions are easy to follow:  I highly recommend it if you like playing with felt like I do. 
 
I embroidered my eyes a little differently to the book and used my Big Shot and Lifestyle Nesting Circle dies to diecut the eyes - so much easier than handcutting them.  I also diecut the Chevron felt pieces using a Chevron Stripes Die-namics die by My Favorite Things.  The original pattern had embroidery in that part but I thought it would be fun to use my dies instead.  That's the great thing about dies:  they are not just limited to cardmaking!
 
Here is a pic of the back of the egg-cosy:
 
 
The heart was also diecut using a heart die from the MFT Die-namics Notched Tag (and stamp) set - and all the embroidery was done using 3 strands of embroidery floss.  The outside of the owl was sewn using sewing thread.
 Hope you like my little projects.From Millan.Net  Thanks for stopping by!
 
Jocelyn
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

Jackie said...

They are both great fun items and what a fab way to display them :o)
Jackie xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Just wonderfully made and ultra cute Jobear have made knitted (or actually crotchet) egg cosies myself, a rabbit and Humpty Dumpty :D some years back and know there were couple more made for family but remember those two love the bookmark how clever! well done, thanks for sharing, love and prayers, Shaz.xx

Anonymous said...

Wow Jocelyn, how fab are these!! I must have that issue of Knit Today. I must dig it out as I know Molly and Lucy would love one of these!! Love your little egg cosy too. Please share more of your makes soon.
xx

Robyn said...

Hi Jo Bear! Your Cat is just the CUTEST thing I have seen in a long while! (Were the highlighted words meant to be links because they are not working if they were).I hope you are doing well! I can always find wonderfulness on your blog!

Merry said...

Jocelyn, that bookmark is so fantastic.....so much fun. And love the owl too. So glad you shared.

Sally said...

Love the adorable cat bookmark and the big eyed owl! So cute and creative!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...