Friday, May 30, 2014

Cuttlebug Embossing Folder Stamping


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

A short while ago, I came across a card that was stamped with an embossing folder and I really, really loved how it looked but had no clue how it was done because there was no information with the card.  Fortunately, Splitcoaststampers recently uploaded a tutorial including a video HERE so I have spent alot of time playing in my Craft Room trying to learn the technique. 

My initial attempts were quite frustrating because I wasn't sure how much water to spray on the folder.  I found that if I sprayed too much water, the pattern was lost - and then if I didn't spray enough water, I wouldn't get a lovely graduation of colour.   I also played with different mediums such as Tombow Pens and Distress Inks and tried different colour combinations plus I experimented with different embossing folders and found some worked better than others.  I also tried watercolour paper and smooth white cardstock and they both gave very different results but worked really well.  I also learned to let the cardstock dry before thinking that it looks terrible because it looks different after drying.

I was so fortunate that yesterday someone else was caring for my loved one all day so I spent a large part of the day with no interruptions where I could really get stuck in.  And it was great because the day before, we had been at the hospital for appointments for a good deal of the day so I appreciated having a day off after the appointments.   It is very, very rare that I get a whole day to myself at home where I not only have a physical break from being a Carer but also a complete emotional break.  I felt on-top-of-the world at the end of the day and so excited to learn a new technique.  And I didn't even need to make dinner that evening - that was made for me as well - ahhhh, bliss!!

So, without further ado, here is my card:


I used a Cuttlebug Victoria embossing folder and randomly applied Antique Linen, Tumbled Glass, Bundled Sage and Faded Jeans Distress Inks then sprayed the water onto the folder using a Ranger Mini Mister and lay my smooth white cardstock down on top.  I left the cardstock there for almost a minute and pressed down with my fingers so all areas of the cardstock received the ink then lifted it off.   Where there was a darker pool of colour that stood out a bit too much, I simply used a tiny piece of paper towel to blot it up a little.  I left the cardstock to dry by itself but I guess you could dry it with a heat-gun if you were in a hurry.  I was a little afraid that I would spread the ink into the white areas and spoil the effect so I just waited patiently for it to dry because this was my favourite one out of all the ones I had done and believe me, I did tons of them LOL!  Ohhh, I just love how the colours mixed - so pretty don't you think?!

I added the teal cardstock strip then stamped the sentiment using Colorbox Peacock pigment ink and heat-set it using Satin Pearl embossing powder.  I diecut a heart from teal cardstock from the Memory Box Hearts and Stars die set and popped it up on a 3mm dimensional.  Lastly, I corner-punched the RHS of the main panel then tied on the twine.  It really is a simple card even if it took a loooooong time to get to that point but I am so glad that I persevered!

Challenges:

I am entering my card in the following challenges -

Splitcoaststampers Technique Lovers Challenge - TLC482 - To Emboss or To Stamp which is specifically for Embossing Folder Stamping

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog - Anything Goes

Cute Card Thursday - Challenge #323 - Blues and Hues 

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog today - I appreciate it very much.

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Sentiment from Stamp-It Australia self-cling rubber sentiment set siset014

Designer paper:  None

Ink:  Ranger Distress Inks - Antique Linen, Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans and Bundled Sage; Colorbox Peacock pigment

Accessories:  Cuttlebug Victoria embossing folder, Darice Hemp cord (Riot Art and Craft), 3mm dimensional, Memory Box Hearts and Stars die set, Big Shot, Ranger Mini Mister, heat-gun, Satin Pearl embossing powder, cardstock - teal, white

Punches:  Stampin' Up corner punch



6 comments:

Laura Sterckx said...

GORGEOUS card. I love the watercolor background. Lovely colors + design. Thank you so much for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn, fabulous card & love the colours & background you have created x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wonderful Jobear totally love it going to pin it to my inky techniques Pinterest board.. thanks so much for sharing it...and so glad you had a while day to play and free to relax in crafty zone .. praying for you all and sending big bloggy hugs your way, Shaz in oz.x

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, I love the colours :o)
Jackie xx

sarascloset said...

Love your card, and LOVE, love your blog name! Good luck!

lynda said...

Such a lovely cArd! Love your color choices, they work so well together. I, too, was unhappy with my first attempts, but now I love the technique. I tried it with a Laura Ashley floral embossing folder and it came out just like a stamp!
Keep playing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...