Wednesday, June 4, 2014

More Embossing folder stamping......


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

Hot on the heels of my last post where I shared my first card using the Embossing Folder Stamping technique, here is another card that I made with this same technique but with a few extra things thrown in:


I used a Die-sire Floral Embossalicious embossing folder for the stamping and scribbled on various colours of Tombow pens - numbers 723, 090, 993, 991, 673.  The good thing about Tombow pens is that it doesn't matter if you get another colour on the nib because you just scribble it out on a sheet of scrap paper.  I sprayed on some water using my Ranger Mini Mister then lay my watercolour paper on top.  I recently purchased some Tim Holtz Distress Watercolour cardstock and I love it because it is really white and has a smooth and a rough side.  In this instance, I used the smooth side.

I left my watercolour paper on top for about a minute and pressed down with my fingers to make sure I had good coverage on the paper, then lifted it off.  I dried off the paper very thoroughly with my heat-gun and put it aside for a little while.  In the meantime, I scribbled the same colour Tombow Pens onto my Craft Mat, sprayed on some water and used another sheet of watercolour cardstock to smooch the colours around so that I had matching cardstock for diecutting the butterflies and for adding the top and bottom borders.

I decided to run the stamped background through my Big Shot using the same embossing folder to add some texture but had to be extremely careful to match up the stamping with the embossing folder and added plenty of removable tape to secure it in place so the cardstock didn't move.  In fact, my first attempt was a fail because I didn't quite line things up so had to start all over again.......unhappy sigh...... but we learn from our mistakes, don't we?!

What I discovered is that the watercolour cardstock tends to stretch a little in the Big shot because the embossing is pressing into what you have stamped so when your folder is very detailed like the one I used, you do end up with one end matching well and the other end goes a bit 'out' as the cardstock stretches.  Anyway, I do love how pretty and lacy it turned out with the added embossing/texture.

The butterflies are dies by Memory Box - Moonlight Butterfly (which is the butterfly base) and the matching Kaleidoscope die (which is the detailed butterfly top).  The body/antennae is a separate die from the Kaleidoscope set.  The Moonlight Butterfly die comes with a body/antennae die too but it is slightly different to the Kaleidoscope one.

I glued down just the centre of the butterflies using Tombow Mono Multi glue so I could bend the wings up a little.  The bottom border was punched with a Martha Stewart Lace Doily edge punch which was difficult because the cardstock was a bit too thick and it jammed!  Fortunately, after a few moments of choice words, I was able to finally get it to punch right through but I won't use the watercolour cardstock in it again - I have learned my lesson!  I only just replaced this punch a few weeks ago so hopefully I haven't shortened its life!

I added some Pink Kindyglitz glitter glue to the butterflies and used Glossy Accents to add some pink 8mm sequins and some clear 5mm sequins.  The clear ones are fantastic because they pick up the colours around them so they look like pink ones!  Here is a close-up:



Lastly, I tied on the pink ribbon and added Fray Stop to the cut ends.  I wondered if I should add a sentiment but really didn't want to cover up the pretty background so left it off.

My niece and her partner recently became engaged so this card will be going to the happy couple but I think you could use the card for alot of different occasions and not just for an engagement.

Challenges:

I am linking my card up to the following challenges -

Papertake Weekly Challenge - Anything Goes - with the optional extra of adding something that reminds you of summer or has a summery theme (I didn't do that bit as it is winter here and can't get my head around summery things 'cos my little feet are like ice-blocks)

Crafty Catz Challenge #233 - Anything Goes

Splitcoaststampers - Technique Lovers Challenge TLC482 - To Emboss or to Stamp (specifically for Embossing Folder stamping), and

Splitcoaststampers - Free for All Friday F4A223 - Use that Stash - where we have to use our Crafty Stash.  For me, it is the butterfly dies.   I have a lovely stash (which is continually growing) of butterfly dies - all brands - I love them 'cos they're just so pretty (especially the Memory Box ones!) but keep forgetting to use them on projects - and, because I don't embellish my cards alot, they don't seem to "fit" anywhere.  This time, I made a huge effort to use them and I am so glad I did!


Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps, Ink, Designer Paper:  None

Accessories:  Tim Holtz Distress watercolor cardstock, Big Shot, Die'sire Embossalicious EF-6 Floral embossing folder, Tombow pens - 723, 090, 993, 991, 673, Craft Sheet, Ranger Mini Mister, sequins - 8mm pink and 5mm clear, Kindyglitz pink glitter glue, Glossy Accents, Memory Box dies Moonlight Butterfly #98260 and Kaleidoscope Butterfly and body/antennae #98261, pink ribbon, Fray Stop, Tombow Mono Multi glue, heat-gun

Punches:  Martha Stewart Lace Doily edge punch


6 comments:

tilly said...

the colours and embossing make this into such a pretty card, thank you for joining our challenge at Crafty Catz
Tilly

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card & techniques x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hullo dear Jobear what an absolutely superb card.... wonderful work. Now have never thought of using my tombows for smooching a folder... a stamp yes but not a folder.

Going to try this. Love tombows have quite few now bought set of 12 in 1992 and still work well now... they're fab.
Not well at moment so taking break from blogging. Praying daily for you and your dear ones. Shaz in Oz x.

Jackie said...

Oh wow Jocelyn, this is so pretty, I love everything about it :o)
Jackie xx

Unknown said...

What a wonderful card you have created for our 'anything goes' challenge at Crafty Catz! Thank you so much for joining and I do apologise for my belated comment.
Hugs,
Anna xxx

Lynn McAuley said...

Jocelyn, your beautiful stamping with embossing folders has inspired me to give it a try! What a gorgeous creation this one is!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...