Friday, August 29, 2014

Father's Day card for my husband


Hi blogging friendsFrom Millan.Net

In Australia, we celebrate Father's Day on the 1st Sunday in September - and today I am sharing the card I made for my husband who is a FANTASTIC Dad to our daughter.  This is also my entry for the Simon Says Challenge of 'Anything Goes' and to use Memory Box products if you have them - as well as the The Male Room Challenge of 'Seeing Stars'.  More details and links on the challenges at the end of my blog post.

My husband loves the older-styles of planes so when I saw this Decoupage/Paper Tole image of a De Havilland Tiger Moth from Craft Creations, I thought it would be perfect for him.  They have come out with some fantastic masculine diecut images in the past year or so and I find them really great for making those oh-so-hard-can't-think-of-what-to-make masculine cards.


The image came already diecut so I just popped out the pieces and trimmed off any daggy bits and put the pieces together with dimensionals.  Easy peasy!

I did actually trim down the base image panel quite a lot because it was really large and wouldn't fit on my standard-size card front.  This image panel is layered onto blue designer paper from my Fancy Pants Beach Bum 6" x 6" pad and trimmed to 1/16" using my Perfect Layers Tools.

The card base is kraft cardstock layered with the same blue paper as the main image plus some dotty paper from the same pad - and these were trimmed to 1/8" using my Perfect Layers Tools.

To make the stars, I cut two small pieces of Stampin' Up! Dazzling Diamonds glitter cardstock (which is white) and rubbed the cardstock with Versacolor Smoke Blue pigment ink, gave it a quick blast with my heat-gun to dry the ink, then diecut a star using my Big Shot and Memory Box Celestial Bodies die set which includes a couple of different sized stars.  Likewise, for the reddish-orange stars, I rubbed a mix of Colorbox Warm Red and Blush Rose fluid chalk ink over the glitter cardstock, heat-set it and then diecut the stars.  A GREAT way to match the glitter cardstock to the colours on your card - which was a fantastic tip I recently learned from my Stampin' Up! Demonstrator.  The stars were popped up on dimensionals.

Here is a close-up of the main image so you can see a little of the dimension on the plane plus those glittery stars:


The sentiment is from my Docrafts Wellington Bear Ultimate Decoupage pack which was still sitting on my desk from my last couple of Wellington Bear cards and thought it matched perfectly.  This was also popped up on dimensionals.

Did you know that The Twinery has brought out solid colours of twine to match their range of white/coloured twine?  I couldn't WAIT to get my hands on some because I LOVE twine so I bought some from a USA Seller on Etsy:  nope - couldn't wait till it was available in Australia!  Ahh, the joys of the world-wide-web!!  The twine I used on my card is Midnight Blue and I added Fray Stop to the cut-ends to stop them from fraying.

I think you could use this image for a birthday as well as Father's Day.

Challenges:

I am entering my card in the following challenges -

Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes - with the option of using Memory Box  products.  I used the Memory Box Celestial Bodies dies.

The Male Room - Seeing Stars

I am off to the Paperific Show on Saturday so I will really love having a whole day to myself looking at pretty things and spending time with like-minded crafters who get excited over ribbon and sequins like I do:  I can't WAIT!!  Thanks for stopping by!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  None

Ink:  Versacolor Smoke Blue pigment, Colorbox Fluid Chalk Warm Red and Blush Rose

Designer paper:  Fancy Pants Beach Bum (2011) 6" x 6" pad

Accessories:  Perfect Layers Tools, The Twinery Solid Midnight Blue twine, Fray Stop, Stampin' Up! Dazzling Diamonds glitter cardstock, dimensionals, Big Shot, Memory Box Celestial Bodies dies, heat-gun, Docrafts Wellington Bear Ultimate Diecut Decoupage pack (sentiment), Craft Creations De Havilland Tiger Moth DCD555 diecut Decoupage (paper tole), cardstock - kraft

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Fantastic image and card :o)
Jackie xx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card, hope you are well x

Deborah Frings said...

what a lovely Father's day card - the image is super and I do like the backing papers. The little stars are great accents. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Great creative work Jobear... fab choice for father's day card... I need to make one.... mm. Love the tip on colouring glitter card. Mm.... have always wanted to go Papertrific... maybe one day. Enjoy for both of us. Hugs Shaz in Oz x

Rocky said...

I love the plane, a perfect fathers day card, hope he had a good day. Thank you for sharing it with us at TMR.

cheiron said...

Wonderful Father's Day card image! Thank you so much for playing along in the Anything Goes Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

Liz McGuire, said...

Wow, brilliant male card, bet he loved it, Liz x

The InTolerant Chef ™ said...

Very lovely card indeed! I like giving quirky and unexpected cards- for our anniversary I gave my husband a GoodLuck card. I figured that being married to me he probably needs all he can get! (oh, that sounds worse than it was meant too, we have been married 24 wonderful years, and will be for at least 100 more!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...